Monday, July 9, 2012

The Story of my Life

As with any great tale, it is meaningless without love.

What is it that gives us our own perspective of the world? Why are some consumed and mesmerized by it, while others pass through it without the ability to raise their eyes to see its vast landscape? And of these two types of people who is the better? My captain asked me once off the Pacific coast of California, "If you could be any animal what would it be?" Since we had been sailing for some time, the animals that first came to mind were the creatures I had been seeing, so I said "A dolphin, what about you?" He said "a seagull." Incredulously I said, "you're kidding, you just fly around all day looking for food, you rest on the water or rocks, and it doesn't look like anything is going on behind those little glass eyes." "And the dolphin, well you can see they have friends, the love the sea and even when they are alone, they enjoy the waves and their life in the water. I can't see how you would want to be a bird." And he said "Yes, the seagull will not have as many fine things in life, but with the incredible highs will also come the incredible lows, that the bird will never know."

He was so right.

No comments:

Post a Comment